Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ouch!!!

Ok...I had my welcome back to the desert moment the other night! I was laying in bed asleep around 2am when I thought I felt something crawl on my neck--I swatted at my neck and then laid there a moment trying to figure out if it was a dream or if, GROSS, something did crawl on my neck. My neck started burning like I had a bite so I got up and went to the bathroom to look and see if anything was there. It was a little red but nothing too bad but it sure did burn. I went back to the room and turned on my light where to my absolute horror was a SCORPION!!!!!!!!! I remained quite calm and told Marshall to get up that I had been stung. He got up and killed it for me. He knew others who had been stung and said that really all you can do is take aspirin. I figured I should be on the safe side and call the ER. They told me aspirin and some people say ice others say not to but if it made it feel better to go ahead and do that---they also said I could come in if I wanted-----but if that was all that they were going to tell me I figured I'd save the $150 and just use an ice pack! Marshall went back to bed but I couldn't get back in there! I sat on the couch reading but after 30 minutes it really did burn---I told Marshall it was like when I got my epidural shot--it felt like something hot was going in my neck. I decided I would call poison control just in case they told me something different than the random person that picked up the phone at the hospital! They didn't! They did tell me that it could hurt for up to ten hours but then it would change to just a sore feeling that could last awhile. I still couldn't sleep so I continued to read my book. Marshall got up at 4am to get ready for work and there I sat on the couch!
I am happy to report that it did just burn for about 6hrs and then my neck was sore the whole next day. I am fine now but I have had the house sprayed inside AND out for critters and we now do a nightly check of the sheets on our bed!!!!

No comments: